Same Day Music is an
authorized Alfred Music Publishing dealer
Learn the basics of digital recording, each step of the signal path, and everything from microphone placement to mixing strategy through the eyes and ears of "The Immortal" Roger Nichols, master engineer with Alfred's The Roger Nichols Recording Method A Primer for the 21st Century Audio Engineer. From scientifically analyzing the differences between condenser, ribbon, and dynamic microphones, to sharing his secrets to an amazing mix, Nichols delivers something for everyone interested in the science and art of audio engineering--no matter what your experience level. The DVD-ROM includes Pro Tools session files, personally set up by Roger, to give you hands-on training.
The Roger Nichols Recording Method gives you the unique experience of learning directly from Roger--exactly as he would have taught you at one of his famous master classes. It's the ultimate experience of having an eight-time GRAMMY(R)-winning engineer sit down in your studio to teach you from his personal experiences and techniques. This book is excellent for beginners but is still full of gems for seasoned pros who want to know how Roger Nichols always managed to get that sound.
Roger Nichols is an expert in the field of digital audio, having earned 8 Grammy wins, including Album of The Year with artist, Steely Dan, a Technical Grammy Award, 11 Grammy nominations, a 2001 TEC Award, 2007 & 2008 TEC Award Nominations, 2007 Latin Grammy Nomination, Board of Governors for the Miami Chapter of NARAS, lecturing master classes at Berklee School of Music, Musicians Institute, Recording Workshop, Full Sail, Vancouver Film School, and University of Miami.
A sought after guest speaker, Nichols traveled around the world giving talks on digital audio and recording techniques at seminars in Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Caracas, Mexico City, Singapore, Sweden, Canada, and various AES and NARAS functions in the U.S. Roger Nichols produced John Denver (17 years), engineering for hit artists like Steely Dan (35 years), Frank Sinatra, Motorhead, Rosanne Cash, Bela Fleck, The Beach Boys, Placido Domingo, and many others.
- Plan your recording sessions like a professional engineer and producer
- Choose the right microphones and learn how Roger would place them for a session
- Test microphone patterns; learn about critical distance placement and the 3 to 1 rule
- Understand how digital audio really works to choose the right format for your sessions
- Learn about the signal path from microphone/instrument levels, channels strips, and plugins
- Record multiple takes, overdubs, punch-in techniques, and get tips on editing digital audio files
- Learn Roger's personal tips for mixing, using automation, creating your final mix, and more!
Same Day Music is an authorized dealer of
Alfred Music Publishing