Same Day Music is an
authorized DBX dealer
Since its introduction in the mid-1970s, the dbx 160 series has been the world's most popular line of audio compressors. After the classic 160 (which is still used daily in many world class studios), came the 165, the 160X and the 160XT. The 160X/XT were the models that truly became the industry standard. Solid construction, fool proof operation, great sound, at-a-glance metering and a bulletproof output stage all contributed to its popularity with musicians, recording studios, consultants and installers, and broadcast media production people alike.
The dbx 160A is part of the legendary dbx 160 family of compressor/limiters. The same classic sound, easy set-up and no-compromise metering is now married to an improved signal path and stronger chassis design. The result is an industry-standard compressor/limiter which is digital-ready and road tough.
Featuring switch-selectable OverEasy and Hard Knee compression curves along with extremely wide-ranging threshold, ratio and output controls, the dbx 160A is up to any task. True RMS level detection provides the most natural-sounding dynamics processing available, from subtle compression to "brick wall" peak limiting. Choose low ratios and OverEasy compression to transparently smooth out fluctuating vocal and instrumental levels. Or use the 160A's Hard Knee compression and high ratios (up to and beyond :1 and over 60dB gain reduction) for bombproof protection against overload distortion in digital recording, P.A. systems and broadcast signals. The 160A is fully compatible with +4/-10dB and balanced/ unbalanced systems, and its electronically balanced output stage is an outstanding line driver for long cable runs (an output transformer is optional). The 19-segment, switchable input/ output LED metering can be easily calibrated to any operating level. 12-segment gain reduction LEDs provide precise analysis at a glance.
The dbx 160A's unique "INFINITY +" inverse-compression mode actually decreases the audio output level below unity gain when the input exceeds threshold, a real lifesaver for correcting overbearing vocal choruses and controlling runaway house mix levels. A detector input can be used with an equalizer for de-essing sibilant vocals and selectively smoothing out boomy notes on acoustic guitar and bass. And two 160As can be stereo-coupled to process an entire mix or instruments mic'd in stereo, without shifting the left/right image. Its musical sound, easy operation and unequaled versatility made the original dbx 160 a world standard. The 160A follows that tradition, while meeting the challenges of a digital world.
- OverEasy or classic hard knee compression with dbx's ultra-musical program dependent attack and release times
- Compression ratio variable from 1:1 through infinity :1 to negative compression
- Precision dual RMS LED display monitors input or putput and gain reduction over a wide range and calibrates for different operating levels
- Over 60dB of gain reduction available
- Exclusive Infinity+ compression allows negative compression
- Independent balanced and unbalanced outputs can drive 600 loads to +24dBm simultaneously. Its floating balanced output stage drives any load.
- Optional output transformer capable
- Strappable with another 160A for true RMS stereo summing operation
Same Day Music is an authorized dealer of
- Connector: 1/4 in. TRS and XLR, Floating Balanced; XLR: Pin 2 hot Phone: Tip Hot
- Impedance: 40k
- Maximum Level: +24dBu, Balanced or Unabalanced (Absolute)
- CMRR: >45dB (any Frequency)
- Detector Input: Connector: 1/4 in. TRS phone, Floating Balanced
- Impedance: >200k
- Maximum Level: +28dBu, Balanced or Unbalanced
- Output: Connector: XLR, floating balanced; pin 2 hot
- Impedance: 30
- Maximum Level: (Balanced): +24dBm; <0.3% THD
- Maximum Level: (Unbalanced): +20dBm; <0.3% THD
- Noise: <-90dBu, Unweighted (20Hz - 20kHz).
- Frequency Response: 20Hz -20kHz, +0, -0.5dB; +0, -3dB 0.5Hz and 90kHz.
- THD: <0.2%, Typical, any amount of compression up to 40dB @ 1kHz.Output
- Connector: 1/4 in. TRS phone, Unbalanced
- Impedance: 20 ohm
- Maximum Level: +24dBmCompression
- Threshold Range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Threshold Characteristic: OverEasy or hard knee
- Compression Ratio: Variable 1:1 to :1 thru to -1:1; >60dB maximum compression
- Attack Time: Program dependent; typically 15ms for 10dB, 5ms for 20dB, 3ms for 30dB
- Release Time: Program Dependent; Typically 8ms for 1dB, 80ms for 10dB, 400ms for 50dB; 125dB/sec rate.System Performance
- Dynamic Range: >113dB
- Gain Adjustment Range: Variable from -20dB to +20dB
- Stereo Coupling: True RMS Power summing
- Summing: 1/4 in. TRS phone jackPower
- Power Cord: IEC-type connector
- Operating Voltage: DO: 90-130VAC, 50/60Hz; EU: 200-250VAC, 50/60Hz
- Operating Temperature: 0 degrees C to 45 degrees C (32 degrees F to 113 degrees F).Physical
- Dimensions: 1.75 x 19 x 6.5 in. (4.45cm x 48.2cm x 16.51cm).
- Weight Net/Shipping: 4.452 lbs/6.62 lbs (1.99 kg/2.99 kg)
Same Day Music is an authorized dealer of
- Shipping Weights and Dimensions
- Shipping Weight: 7 lbs