As one of the most versatile guitars in the PRS lineup, the 509 harnesses the power of 5 pickups to deliver 9 uniquely musical tones. The 509 starts with a 5 single coil platform- with the outside four coils grouped as humbuckers. An innovative switching system (a 5-way blade switch and two mini-toggle coil-tap switches), gives players an array of humbucking, singlecoil, and blended tones.Unique appointments include a longer 25.25" scale length which adds upper harmonic sparkle and the PRS Gen III Patented Tremolo which provides impressive sustain.
GEN III TREMOLO
- Rest assured, the Gen III trem functions in all the same ways as the PRS patented tremolo system always has. As always, the bridge is machined brass, a metal that rings beautifully. The block, intonation screws, height-adjustment screws, and the string slots on the saddles are all left un-plated for increased sustain and fidelity of tone.
- The mounting screw holes are countersunk from underneath, creating a knife-edge set-up that ensures the bridge will return to pitch after use.
- The bridge's sidewalls create a pocket that keeps the six individually adjustable saddles from moving sideways, thereby eliminating another traditional cause of tuning instability.
- The saddles feature a compound radius so that the string breaks across the saddle at the optimum angle for contact and vibration transfer through the bridge. The Private Stock Gen III Trem also features locking saddles. These saddles hold the ball ends in place preventing any movement in the block and further ensuring the guitar returns to pitch after use.
- The tremolo arm is unthreaded and features a small set screw that allows the player to customize the feel of the arm and find a comfortable playing position. The Gen III trem also has a few notable updates that further support the fidelity of the guitar's tone and maximize sustain.
- The mounting screws have been redesigned with larger thread and a larger custom head. This added mass creates more contact from the screw to the bridge and the guitar's body, resulting in greater sustain.
- Grooves have been added to the bridge plate. The grooves are radiused to match the radius of the height adjustment screws, again so there is more contact and a better fit.