The Radial StageBug SB-5 is a compact stereo direct box designed to accommodate laptop computers, tablets and other consumer audio products when amplifying the signal through a PA system.The passive design begins with an integrated input cable that connects from the headphone out via a flexible 1.5m (5') cable that is terminated with a standard 3.5mm (1/8") stereo connector. The cable is secured via a clamping strain relief and is wrapped using the sidewinder cleat for easy storage. This of course eliminates having to locate a cable making it easier to deploy in fast paced work environments. Inside, the signal is sent to a pair of custom wound transformers where the impedance is lowered and the signal is balanced for long cable runs
- upwards to 100 meters (300'). Transformers further benefit by isolating the computer from the PA system to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops. This is augmented with a ground lift switch to further reduce ground contamination.A choice of output connectors is available including a stereo set of 1/4" TRS jacks for full stereo operation or an XLR out that automatically sums the left-right program material to mono. This can save valuable channels on the PA system and makes setup easier in situations where full stereo reproduction is not required. A -15dB input pad may be engaged to reduce sensitivity and enable extra high output sources to be connected without distortion.These features combine to make the SB-5 the perfect tool-kit DI for the AV technician, media manager or traveling musician equipped with a computer.
ApplicationsUsing the SB-5 with a computerConnect the headphone output from your computer directly into the StageBug SB-5 for quiet performance each time. The sidewinder cable cleat makes storage easy and you never lose the cable.Using the SB-5 with a tabletThe SB-5 is your perfect direct box when extra portability is needed. Connect your iPad or Galaxy tablet to the SB-5 via the integral 3.5mm cable connection and sum to mono via the XLR output.Using the SB-5 with an iPhoneNeed to play backing tracks in stereo? The Stage Bug SB-5 makes it easy to connect from your portable music player. Connect from the headphone out to the SB-5 and send a balanced stereo signal to the PA.
DevelopmentThese days, it is almost impossible to find a production that does not have a computer as part of the equipment list. This includes live shows, audio-visual displays, product presentations, trade shows, banquets, exhibits, DJ performances and educational programs.Although Radial has been providing solutions for this market with full sized interfaces like the JPC and ProAV1 direct boxes, there is a huge segment of the market that requires ultra-portability when traveling with their laptops. To address the need, the Stage Bug SB-5 was designed after identifying the following criteria:1. Compact designFirst on the list: the SB-5 had to be compact enough to fit in a computer case or the AV technician's tool box. In other words, it had to be one of those little boxes that you could pull out of your kit and easily deploy when needed.2. Easy to interface3.5mm mini jack The most common audio connector these days is the 3.5mm (1/8") mini TRS jack used to connect ear buds & headphones. This stereo jack is found on computers of all sizes, tablets, iPods, cell phones and there are plenty of adaptors to interface with most connector formats.3. Integral cableThere is nothing more frustrating that not being able to find a cable when you are trying to set up a show. There's already enough stress involved in just making sure everything else is ready. We felt that incorporating the cable as an integral part of the DI would make things easier. It does!4. Handy cable wrapThe nautical term is a cleat. This is used to tie the ropes on sails and flagpoles. Another major hassle is trying to keep the cable sorted when it is tossed inside a bag with other AV equipment or tools. The sidewinder cleat is a simple add-on that makes deployment and storage of the cable easy.5. Transformer isolatedWhen interfacing computers with a PA, noise has a nasty habit of finding its way into the audio system, particularly when incorporating a projector as part of the show. The best solution is to isolate the computer from the PA system using a transformer. This eliminates the hum and buzz caused by ground loops and stray DC voltage.6. Passive designTransformer based passive DI boxes are super easy to use as they do not require any batteries, external power supply or 48V phantom power to make them work. You simply plug in and the transformers do the balancing and impedance matching. During hectic shows, easy is always best!7. Stereo and mono operationMost audio files are produced in stereo. But often, the stereo files cause more problems than folks realize due to the way speakers may be set up for a distributed sound system. Having effects panned 'hard left'
- when the right speaker is the only one audible
- is a perfect example. The Stage Bug SB-5 gives you the option to use a pair of 1/4" TRS outputs for stereo or an XLR output that automatically sums the left & right inputs to mono. This also saves valuable channels on the mixer.8. Field serviceableWith a hard-wired cable, you can be certain that it will eventually have to be replaced. The cable features a reusable strain relief plus an easy access solder points on the inside that make changing the cable a relatively simple affair that most audio techs can perform themselves.9. Made Radial ruggedAlthough compact, they did not compromise on the construction. The Stage Bug SB-5 is made Radial rugged. Pick it up and you get the same sense of quality that has made Radial DI boxes the most used on professional stages around the globe.10. Priced rightLast but not least, the price had to be right so that adding it to a work kit would be a no-brainer. The Stage Bug SB-5 represents tremendous value.When you combine all of these requirements and pack them into a super compact enclosure, you get a simple product that sounds great, does the job efficiently and is easy to deploy. It's called the StageBug SB-5.
Features:- Stereo direct box for laptop computer
- Integral 1.5m cable with sidewinder cleat
- Transformer isolation eliminates noise
- Plug & play easy to use -
- no power required