dbx 286S Microphone Preamplifier
Check the delivery time for another location!
Features- Studio quality Mic Preamp/Channel Strip Processor
- Classic dbx Compression puts great sound within easy reach
- Frequency tunable De-Esser reduces sibilance and high frequency distortion
- Enhancer increases the detail and definition of the high and low frequencies
- Program adaptive Expander/Gate
- Insert jack allows you to add an external processor
- Full compliment of meters and status LEDs
- +48V Phantom Power
- Precision detented controlsUse the patented dbx OverEasy compressor to transparently smooth out uneven acoustic tracks or deliver that classic in your face vocal performance that only a dbx compressor can. Eliminate vocal sibilance and high frequency distortion from instruments such as cymbals with the frequency tunable De-Esser. Fine-tune the Enhancer HF Detail control to add sparkle and crispness to your tracks and make adjustments to the LF Detail control to add fullness and depth to vocals and bass instruments while cleaning up the muddy low midrange frequencies. And, the separate threshold and ratio controls on the Expander/Gate allow you to subtly reduce headphone leakage or radically gate noisy guitar amps. The dbx 286S offers a full compliment of metering and status LEDs to visually guide you to achieving the right sound. The floating balanced XLR Mic Input accepts balanced or unbalanced inputs to easily connect to professional and home studio microphones. The additional 1/4-inch TRS Line Input can accept balanced/unbalanced signals to process live electronic instruments or pre-recorded tracks at mixdown. Use the Insert jack to interface between the Mic Preamp and the signal processing sections to loop out to external processors (such as EQ or delay unit) or to mix the Mic Preamp's signal out to an external destination. The cost and hassle of patching together multiple processors for use on one track can be frustrating. The dbx 286S provides you with all the mic processing you need in one box, with the shortest, cleanest signal path to keep your music sounding its best!
- Input: Floating balanced, Pin 2 Hot
- Impedance: ~4.2k ohms
- Maximum Level: 0.25Vrms, Gain = 30dB
- Gain Adjustment Range: 0dB to +60dB
- Phantom Power: +48VDC, applied to XLR pins 2 and 3 through 6.81k ohm resistors
- CMRR: >40dB, typically 55dB
- EIN: -125dBu, 22Hz-22kHz, 150 ohm source impedance
- Line Input:
- Input: Floating balanced, TIP Hot
- Impedance: 10k ohm unbalanced, 20k ohm balanced
- Maximum Level: >+21dBu, balanced or unbalanced
- Gain Adjustment Range: -15dB to +45 dB
- CMRR: >40dB, typically 55dB
- Connector: 1/4 inch TRS phone, Normalled; tip is Send, ring is Return
- Ring: Impedance: >5k ohms
- Maximum Level: >+21dBu
- Tip: Impedance: 100 ohms
- Maximum Level: >+21dBu, >+20dBm (600 ohm load)
- Noise: <-89dBu, unweighted (20Hz-20kHz);
- Line Gain: Control set to 0dB
- Distortion: <0.01% THD, 20Hz-20kHz, +10dBu
- Line Output:
- 1/4 inch TRS phone: Balanced/Unbalanced
- Impedance: 100 ohm unbalanced, 200 ohm balanced
- Maximum Level: >+21dBu, >+20dBm (600 ohm load)
- Gain Adjustment Range: -30dB to +10dB
- Noise: <-80dBu unweighted (20Hz-20kHz); Both Gain Controls set for 0dB, all processing controls OFF
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz, +0.5/-0.5dB
- Distortion: <0.08%THD, 20Hz-20kHz, +10dBu, all Processing Controls OFF
- Threshold Range: -40dBu to +20dBu
- Threshold Characteristics: OverEasy
- Compression Ratio: >4:1 For input levels beyond 20dB above threshold
- Maximum Compression: 30dB
- Attack Time: Program-Dependent; >1s for small level increases, down to 10ms for larage increases
- Release Time: Program-Dependen; adjustable between approximately 1dB/sec and 75dB/sec
- Distortion: Typically <0.05%THD, 20Hz-20kHz, 15dB G/R, +10dBu Output, DENSITY at 0
- SMPTE Intermodulation Distortion: <0.05%; 60Hz/7kHz 4:1, 15dB G/R, +10dBu Output Level, DENSITY at 0
- Characteristic: Wideband Gain Reduction
- Frequency Range: 800Hz to 10kHz High Pass, 12dB/octave
- Release Time: Program-Dependent approximately 1ms/dB
- HF Detail Characteristic: Program-controlled shelving equalizer, approximately 15dB maximum HF boost
- LF Detail Characteristics: Bell-shaped boost at 80Hz, bell-shaped cut at 250Hz, ratio is approximately 2:1
- Threshold Range: OFF to +15dBu
- Expansion Ratio: Adjustable 1.5:1 to 10:1
- Maximum Depth: >50dB
- Attack Time: Program-Dependent, approximately 2mS (at maximum attenuation)
- Release Time: Program-Dependent, approxiamtely 10mS/dB
- Dynamic Range: Typically 105dB
- Power Requirements: 15watts
- Operating Voltage: DO: 120VAC 60Hz, 100VAC 50/60Hz; EU: 230VAC 50/60Hz
- Dimensions: 1.75 x 5.75 x 19 inches (4.5x14.6x48.5cm)
- Weight: Net Weight: 4.5 lbs/2.04 Kgs
When will I receive my shipment?
We ship on business days (Saturday, Sunday, and holidays are not business days). Packages ship from Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, or Ohio -- we cannot guarantee that any product will ship from a specific warehouse. Expedited Shipping (1-Day Air and 2-Day Air) is the only way to guarantee that you will receive an item within a certain time frame. Delivery estimates for expedited shipping options are listed on the product page for the item in question. All expedited shipments are delivered Monday-Friday.
Ground Shipping typically takes 1-4 business days from the date of shipment (for orders within the 48 contiguous United States). Residential ground and Free 2-Day shipments are delivered Tuesday-Saturday. Commercial ground and Free 2-Day shipments are delivered Monday-Friday. Make sure to select the proper address type for your address in checkout, as delays may occur if your selection is incorrect.
For APO/FPO customers, all orders ship via USPS. Expedited shipping is not available. Tracking for these orders is not available.
For customers shipping to a PO Box, the order may need to be shipped via USPS. For this reason, expected delivery dates cannot be guaranteed.
Do you ship to my location?
For most products shipping to the continental United States, customers may choose Ground, 2-Day Air, or 1-Day Air delivery. We also ship to Alaska and Hawaii; however, due to carrier restrictions, we cannot ground-ship to those states.
In addition, we ships to the following destinations, though some restrictions apply:
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Territories
See instructions below for how to search the site by our eligible shipping destinations.
Note: We cannot change a shipping address on an order after it has shipped. If an order is returned because it couldn't be received at the listed shipping address, we will accept the return but will not refund the shipping charges.
We ship a lot of our most popular gear to Canada! To determine if item(s) ship to Canada, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping postal code. Items that ship to Canada are sent via International Air, and delivery is typically 2-5 business days from the date of shipment.
Canadian orders are charged in U.S. dollars. Actual charges are dependent on your bank's conversion rate. Your bank may assess additional fees for international orders.
Although items shipped to Canada receive their full factory warranty, they must be returned to a United States service center for repairs. We're not responsible for any shipping or customs fees incurred in such a case.
We ship many items to Puerto Rico. To determine if item(s) ship to Puerto Rico, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping zip code. Eligible items ship via International Air, and typically arrive 2-5 business days from the date of shipment.
We ship to APO/FPO addresses for free, though over-sized items may be ineligible. To determine if item(s) ship to your APO/FPO address, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping zip code.
We ship eligible products to American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, the Marshall Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, and the Virgin Islands. Eligible items typically arrive 2-7 business days from the date of shipment.
What about customs fees?
Please be aware of customs fees such as taxes and duties, which are not included in our shipping charges. Customs fees vary from location to location. Please check with your local customs office for more information on the fees in your area. If you refuse to pay these fees, your order will not be delivered. We cannot refund shipping charges if an item is returned due to refusal to pay fees, and a restocking fee may be applied to cover the cost of return shipping. Customs fees are non-refundable.
Which items ship immediately?
Most orders ship the same business day your order is placed when you place a valid order before the shipping deadline.
Immediate shipment is available Monday-Friday. A valid order placed before 5 p.m. EST will ship the same day when using Ground or Free 2-Day shipping. Ground and Free 2-Day shipping orders placed after 5 p.m. EST will ship the next business day. Many orders using an expedited shipping method (2 Day Air or Next Day Air), and placed before 10 p.m. EST, will ship the same day.
Shipment and availability information updates from our warehouse to our website almost in real time. We are highly confident of the status of each item when you view a page. However, we do not reserve inventory being viewed or even placed in shopping carts, so we cannot guarantee an item's availability until you have placed your order. In particular, if you have been in the checkout area for more than about 10 minutes, we do recommend that you refresh the page to get the most current inventory prior to checking out.
What is a valid order?
A valid order is for a valid item at a valid price, placed with a credit card with complete and verifiable address and other information. Details.
Does immediate shipment mean immediate delivery?
Once an order is shipped, our carriers (Federal Express and UPS) typically guarantee a service time for when the order will be delivered to you. Our carriers have a very good record of delivering at their promised service time. We will ship immediately, and on all items, we will refund expedited shipping charges if the carrier's service levels for your chosen shipping method are not met.
If a product is in stock, is there any reason it will not ship immediately?
Exceptions are very unusual, but here are some examples of reasons that might prevent us from shipping immediately:
- Warehouse, call center, or web operations lose power or telecom connectivity.
- Warehouse, call center, or web operations lose capability due to adverse weather (blizzard), safety threat, or other factors.
What can I do if I don't feel you've lived up to your guarantees?
If you ever feel we have not lived up to any of our guarantees, we want to know about it -- and we want a chance to do right if we agree. Contact Us.