Radial StageBug SB-5 Laptop Compact Stereo DI Direct Box
Check the delivery time for another location!
- upwards to 100 meters (300'). Transformers further benefit by isolating the computer from the PA system to help eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops. This is augmented with a ground lift switch to further reduce ground contamination.A choice of output connectors is available including a stereo set of 1/4" TRS jacks for full stereo operation or an XLR out that automatically sums the left-right program material to mono. This can save valuable channels on the PA system and makes setup easier in situations where full stereo reproduction is not required. A -15dB input pad may be engaged to reduce sensitivity and enable extra high output sources to be connected without distortion.These features combine to make the SB-5 the perfect tool-kit DI for the AV technician, media manager or traveling musician equipped with a computer.
ApplicationsUsing the SB-5 with a computerConnect the headphone output from your computer directly into the StageBug SB-5 for quiet performance each time. The sidewinder cable cleat makes storage easy and you never lose the cable.Using the SB-5 with a tabletThe SB-5 is your perfect direct box when extra portability is needed. Connect your iPad or Galaxy tablet to the SB-5 via the integral 3.5mm cable connection and sum to mono via the XLR output.Using the SB-5 with an iPhoneNeed to play backing tracks in stereo? The Stage Bug SB-5 makes it easy to connect from your portable music player. Connect from the headphone out to the SB-5 and send a balanced stereo signal to the PA.
DevelopmentThese days, it is almost impossible to find a production that does not have a computer as part of the equipment list. This includes live shows, audio-visual displays, product presentations, trade shows, banquets, exhibits, DJ performances and educational programs.Although Radial has been providing solutions for this market with full sized interfaces like the JPC and ProAV1 direct boxes, there is a huge segment of the market that requires ultra-portability when traveling with their laptops. To address the need, the Stage Bug SB-5 was designed after identifying the following criteria:1. Compact designFirst on the list: the SB-5 had to be compact enough to fit in a computer case or the AV technician's tool box. In other words, it had to be one of those little boxes that you could pull out of your kit and easily deploy when needed.2. Easy to interface3.5mm mini jack The most common audio connector these days is the 3.5mm (1/8") mini TRS jack used to connect ear buds & headphones. This stereo jack is found on computers of all sizes, tablets, iPods, cell phones and there are plenty of adaptors to interface with most connector formats.3. Integral cableThere is nothing more frustrating that not being able to find a cable when you are trying to set up a show. There's already enough stress involved in just making sure everything else is ready. We felt that incorporating the cable as an integral part of the DI would make things easier. It does!4. Handy cable wrapThe nautical term is a cleat. This is used to tie the ropes on sails and flagpoles. Another major hassle is trying to keep the cable sorted when it is tossed inside a bag with other AV equipment or tools. The sidewinder cleat is a simple add-on that makes deployment and storage of the cable easy.5. Transformer isolatedWhen interfacing computers with a PA, noise has a nasty habit of finding its way into the audio system, particularly when incorporating a projector as part of the show. The best solution is to isolate the computer from the PA system using a transformer. This eliminates the hum and buzz caused by ground loops and stray DC voltage.6. Passive designTransformer based passive DI boxes are super easy to use as they do not require any batteries, external power supply or 48V phantom power to make them work. You simply plug in and the transformers do the balancing and impedance matching. During hectic shows, easy is always best!7. Stereo and mono operationMost audio files are produced in stereo. But often, the stereo files cause more problems than folks realize due to the way speakers may be set up for a distributed sound system. Having effects panned 'hard left'
- when the right speaker is the only one audible
- is a perfect example. The Stage Bug SB-5 gives you the option to use a pair of 1/4" TRS outputs for stereo or an XLR output that automatically sums the left & right inputs to mono. This also saves valuable channels on the mixer.8. Field serviceableWith a hard-wired cable, you can be certain that it will eventually have to be replaced. The cable features a reusable strain relief plus an easy access solder points on the inside that make changing the cable a relatively simple affair that most audio techs can perform themselves.9. Made Radial ruggedAlthough compact, they did not compromise on the construction. The Stage Bug SB-5 is made Radial rugged. Pick it up and you get the same sense of quality that has made Radial DI boxes the most used on professional stages around the globe.10. Priced rightLast but not least, the price had to be right so that adding it to a work kit would be a no-brainer. The Stage Bug SB-5 represents tremendous value.When you combine all of these requirements and pack them into a super compact enclosure, you get a simple product that sounds great, does the job efficiently and is easy to deploy. It's called the StageBug SB-5.
Features:- Stereo direct box for laptop computer
- Integral 1.5m cable with sidewinder cleat
- Transformer isolation eliminates noise
- Plug & play easy to use -
- no power required
- Number of channels: Two channels, mono or stereo outputs
- Frequency response: 20Hz ~ 20KHz (+/- 1dB)
- Dynamic range: 100dB
- Maximum input: +20dB
- Total harmonic distortion: 0.01% @ 1kHz
- Phase deviation: 2* @ 100Hz; 5* @ 50Hz
- Input impedance: 40k Ohms, unbalanced
- Output impedance: 2.8k Ohms, balanced
- Transformer: Custom design
- Input pad: -10dB
- Auto Merge: Sums left & right sources to mono at XLR
- Ground lift: Disconnects pin-1 at 1/4" TRS outputs
- XLR configuration: AES standard (pin-2 hot)
- Input connector: 3.5mm (1/8") integrated 1.5m (5') cable
- Output connectors: 1/4" TRS stereo / XLR-M mono merge
- Construction: 14 gauge steel chassis & outer shell
- Finish: Baked enamel
- Size: (L x W x D) 4.5" x 1,85" x 1.35" (114 mm x 47 mm x 34 mm)
- Weight: 0.55 lbs (250 grams)
- Shipping Size: W x H x D: 102 x 76 x 165 mm (4" x 3" x 6.5")
- Shipping Weight: 0.8 lbs (365 grams)
- Power: Passive, no power required
- Warranty: Radial 3-year, transferable
- Specifications are subject to change without notice.
When will I receive my shipment?
We ship on business days (Saturday, Sunday, and holidays are not business days). Packages ship from Mississippi, Nevada, New Jersey, or Ohio -- we cannot guarantee that any product will ship from a specific warehouse. Expedited Shipping (1-Day Air and 2-Day Air) is the only way to guarantee that you will receive an item within a certain time frame. Delivery estimates for expedited shipping options are listed on the product page for the item in question. All expedited shipments are delivered Monday-Friday.
Ground Shipping typically takes 1-4 business days from the date of shipment (for orders within the 48 contiguous United States). Residential ground and Free 2-Day shipments are delivered Tuesday-Saturday. Commercial ground and Free 2-Day shipments are delivered Monday-Friday. Make sure to select the proper address type for your address in checkout, as delays may occur if your selection is incorrect.
For APO/FPO customers, all orders ship via USPS. Expedited shipping is not available. Tracking for these orders is not available.
For customers shipping to a PO Box, the order may need to be shipped via USPS. For this reason, expected delivery dates cannot be guaranteed.
Do you ship to my location?
For most products shipping to the continental United States, customers may choose Ground, 2-Day Air, or 1-Day Air delivery. We also ship to Alaska and Hawaii; however, due to carrier restrictions, we cannot ground-ship to those states.
In addition, we ships to the following destinations, though some restrictions apply:
- Puerto Rico
- U.S. Territories
See instructions below for how to search the site by our eligible shipping destinations.
Note: We cannot change a shipping address on an order after it has shipped. If an order is returned because it couldn't be received at the listed shipping address, we will accept the return but will not refund the shipping charges.
We ship a lot of our most popular gear to Canada! To determine if item(s) ship to Canada, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping postal code. Items that ship to Canada are sent via International Air, and delivery is typically 2-5 business days from the date of shipment.
Canadian orders are charged in U.S. dollars. Actual charges are dependent on your bank's conversion rate. Your bank may assess additional fees for international orders.
Although items shipped to Canada receive their full factory warranty, they must be returned to a United States service center for repairs. We're not responsible for any shipping or customs fees incurred in such a case.
We ship many items to Puerto Rico. To determine if item(s) ship to Puerto Rico, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping zip code. Eligible items ship via International Air, and typically arrive 2-5 business days from the date of shipment.
We ship to APO/FPO addresses for free, though over-sized items may be ineligible. To determine if item(s) ship to your APO/FPO address, add the item(s) to your cart and enter your shipping zip code.
We ship eligible products to American Samoa, the Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, the Marshall Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, and the Virgin Islands. Eligible items typically arrive 2-7 business days from the date of shipment.
What about customs fees?
Please be aware of customs fees such as taxes and duties, which are not included in our shipping charges. Customs fees vary from location to location. Please check with your local customs office for more information on the fees in your area. If you refuse to pay these fees, your order will not be delivered. We cannot refund shipping charges if an item is returned due to refusal to pay fees, and a restocking fee may be applied to cover the cost of return shipping. Customs fees are non-refundable.
Which items ship immediately?
Most orders ship the same business day your order is placed when you place a valid order before the shipping deadline.
Immediate shipment is available Monday-Friday. A valid order placed before 5 p.m. EST will ship the same day when using Ground or Free 2-Day shipping. Ground and Free 2-Day shipping orders placed after 5 p.m. EST will ship the next business day. Many orders using an expedited shipping method (2 Day Air or Next Day Air), and placed before 10 p.m. EST, will ship the same day.
Shipment and availability information updates from our warehouse to our website almost in real time. We are highly confident of the status of each item when you view a page. However, we do not reserve inventory being viewed or even placed in shopping carts, so we cannot guarantee an item's availability until you have placed your order. In particular, if you have been in the checkout area for more than about 10 minutes, we do recommend that you refresh the page to get the most current inventory prior to checking out.
What is a valid order?
A valid order is for a valid item at a valid price, placed with a credit card with complete and verifiable address and other information. Details.
Does immediate shipment mean immediate delivery?
Once an order is shipped, our carriers (Federal Express and UPS) typically guarantee a service time for when the order will be delivered to you. Our carriers have a very good record of delivering at their promised service time. We will ship immediately, and on all items, we will refund expedited shipping charges if the carrier's service levels for your chosen shipping method are not met.
If a product is in stock, is there any reason it will not ship immediately?
Exceptions are very unusual, but here are some examples of reasons that might prevent us from shipping immediately:
- Warehouse, call center, or web operations lose power or telecom connectivity.
- Warehouse, call center, or web operations lose capability due to adverse weather (blizzard), safety threat, or other factors.
What can I do if I don't feel you've lived up to your guarantees?
If you ever feel we have not lived up to any of our guarantees, we want to know about it -- and we want a chance to do right if we agree. Contact Us.